Luckily for us, the church we chose out here has a Home school Co-Op. Mostly likely we aren't just lucky ; ) God knew! It was really nice. Its important for me to keep the kids working in group settings and around other kids their age as much as I can. Although, its also important to me to have them around kids that aren't Christian. As much as I want to protect my kids from all things and wish the world were as God meant it to be, its not and I prefer not to keep them in a bubble. I prefer to educate them and teach them about what other believe and why and how to stand up, in love, for God and be loving towards others but in a strong way. And you just cant do that in a Christian bubble in my opinion. But..... I'm getting off topic. Back to the Co-op. Middle school and High school classes are year long and we are starting mid semester so Sierra is just doing study hall (her regular school work) 1st period and helping in a crafty knitting/sewing class 2nd period where she'll still get to do the products. And shes really excited because the youth pastor at the church who participates in the program, invited Sierra to join his 3rd period class, which is Church History. She's really excited about this one. One, she gets to be in class with kids her age and 2 she likes the subject. As do I! Its important to know why you've chosen the religion you have. I'm all for not letting my kids think Christianity is the only option. I like them to know that there are other options and tell them why I've chosen what I have.
Luis is taking Meet the Masters. I'm really excited one of the moms is offering this class. They teach it at the kids old elementary, so they aren't missing out on what they would have if we were still back home. For 2nd period he is taking History of Kings and Queens. This one just sounded fun! They will be learning about knights and building castles!! I wanna do it! Plus, when Luis took his assessment for K12 they recommended moving him up to 3rd grade, I was a little nervous about the science and history classes. I knew he could do the math, he got his daddies math gene and I knew he could do the literature and language arts cuz he got his sisters super awesome reading gene. But I when they advised I go across the board for 3rd grade, like I said, those classes sounded hard for him. And they are pretty challenging! But the history class for second grade was knights, kings and queens LOL So look! He's getting 2nd and 3rd grade history for the rest of the school year woot!!! And he doesn't even know it ha ha. Right now in his real history both of my kids are learning about the Renaissance and they do mention the middle ages allot. So its great he gets to do some middle ages stuff as well. Hey, I'm learning a ton of history right now!!!! Both of their science's, I know and remember, but our history in public schools must be lacking! Although I must say, Sierra's history last year at Warm Springs in Murrieta Rocked!!! She learned so much and was excited about it. And that's why in K12 she was able to move on to the higher history class : ).
Back to Co-op! I always have to put myself back on topic. We stayed there for lunch in the cafeteria. My hopes are the kids will make friends and get to sit with their friends. But, from what I saw yesterday, the moms sit with theirs kids!! They are with you everyday! Let them have social time!! AND>>> one of my home school kids pet peeves! They didn't make them stay seated for lunch. These kids were walking around with their food, getting up and down, switching tables. I think they need to learn to learn to follow rules and be organized. That's why I take a minute away of game time for each time the kids talk out of turn in our "office" lol and make them sit properly in a chair doing assignments. But that's just me ; 0
Luis is taking Meet the Masters. I'm really excited one of the moms is offering this class. They teach it at the kids old elementary, so they aren't missing out on what they would have if we were still back home. For 2nd period he is taking History of Kings and Queens. This one just sounded fun! They will be learning about knights and building castles!! I wanna do it! Plus, when Luis took his assessment for K12 they recommended moving him up to 3rd grade, I was a little nervous about the science and history classes. I knew he could do the math, he got his daddies math gene and I knew he could do the literature and language arts cuz he got his sisters super awesome reading gene. But I when they advised I go across the board for 3rd grade, like I said, those classes sounded hard for him. And they are pretty challenging! But the history class for second grade was knights, kings and queens LOL So look! He's getting 2nd and 3rd grade history for the rest of the school year woot!!! And he doesn't even know it ha ha. Right now in his real history both of my kids are learning about the Renaissance and they do mention the middle ages allot. So its great he gets to do some middle ages stuff as well. Hey, I'm learning a ton of history right now!!!! Both of their science's, I know and remember, but our history in public schools must be lacking! Although I must say, Sierra's history last year at Warm Springs in Murrieta Rocked!!! She learned so much and was excited about it. And that's why in K12 she was able to move on to the higher history class : ).
Back to Co-op! I always have to put myself back on topic. We stayed there for lunch in the cafeteria. My hopes are the kids will make friends and get to sit with their friends. But, from what I saw yesterday, the moms sit with theirs kids!! They are with you everyday! Let them have social time!! AND>>> one of my home school kids pet peeves! They didn't make them stay seated for lunch. These kids were walking around with their food, getting up and down, switching tables. I think they need to learn to learn to follow rules and be organized. That's why I take a minute away of game time for each time the kids talk out of turn in our "office" lol and make them sit properly in a chair doing assignments. But that's just me ; 0
No comments:
Post a Comment