Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Do you ever feel like you're cleaning in circles?

I do! And I'm getting dizzy!

Luis and Sierra completed placement testing for the Homeschool program we would be using (if we go through with it) Actually Luis still have to finish the Language Arts portion. Its seriously up to 300 questions long each, for Language and Math! The questions start off below your level and get harder and harder based on your ability to answer them. Luis' math test started getting crazy for the last half LOL it had fraction, things like 32 divided by 2 times 3. I just kept telling him to give his best thinking try. We DO NOT use the word guess in this family. You know what kids tend to do if you say guess?? Just click/pick any thing that looks good to them. We tell them use what you know and give it a thinking try. So there he is on scratch paper trying to add things like $27.82 to 9.45 lol so cute! At one point he said, "I keep getting answers that are one of the multiple choice, what if Im getting the right answers and get put in a class that has all this stuff in it??" he was so stressed out. I had to reassure him that even if he tested for a super hard class like that I would ask that he be put in a class that has more of the stuff he's been working on, not can just luckily figure out cuz he's a smarty at math. You cant say anything during these tests or help at all. And one of the problems I have with Homeschooling is I see my friends Homeschooling their kids and giving them the answers or showing them how to find the answer and talking them through it. That is not how it works in real life! I drives me nuts when you see a mom doing her kids project for them Grrrr come on people a fourth grader did not build a wood, pioneer wagon in their woodworking shed LOL  So anyways, we'll see what they say in a few days.

The program I would be using in K12 on-line/homschool. Its actually recognized as a public school in a ton of states, including Cali. So we have to pay for what other people get free cuz NC is whack ; )
http://www.k12.com/

No comments: