Monday, March 7, 2011

Cooking class

So my daughter and a friend of hers asked me if I could teach them how to cook lol. I dont cook just about everything from scratch buy I'm no chef!! I burn something almost every week, especially with this electric oven. But my daughters always loved cooking and her friend has never cooked or baked! I thought that was so weird! I start letting the kids help me in the kitchen right when they can sit up and hold a spoon LOL

The first "lesson" was Strawberry Shortcake! And it turned out heavenly!!! I would def recommend this recipe!! We always use ALL Recipes to find recipes! I just love it. Its easy to navigate and has tons of reviews and ratings.

http://allrecipes.com/

The recipe we chose was http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sensational-Strawberry-Shortcake/Detail.aspx. We actually chose it because the girls had started another recipe without me (they have been instructed to never do that again lol) and we didnt have the right tools to make it. What is a steamer for cake?? See, I'm no chef. Tossed that out! But I'm so glad it happened because we probably wouldnt have chosen this recipe if that hadnt happened. It seems really odd....... But soooooo good. The only changes I'd make would be add more sugar and some vanilla extract to the dough. Double the merengue!!! and add some sugar and vanilla extract to that as well. And thats it! My son said it was the best cake he ever had and wants it every year for his birthday.


This is the shortbread part with the sugar top merengue on top!! Doesnt it look awesome!

The homemade whipped cream! I really cant eat anything else! Sierra's friend didnt even know you could make whipped cream from scratch. I always add a little almond extract as well as the vanilla!

And the finished product!!! The girls didnt make the right amount of strawberries! They used one basket when two would have been better.






No comments: